MiniWerks

Fine Handbuilt Models from around the World

Latest Models

Ford GT40 Mk.II Holman & Moody 24H Le Mans 1966

Ford GT40 Mk.II Holman & Moody 24H Le Mans 1966

Last Two! Ford GT40 Mk.II Holman & Moody 24H Le Mans 1966 Lucien Bianchi/Mario Andretti. Brand New.

» See more...

Welcome to MiniWerks Online!

The focus here is representing high–end 1/43 scale handbuilt models from the World’s top brands, as well as pieces from internationally renowned independent builders.

Mike McCormick signature

MiniWerks Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 General
 1/43 scale Handbuilt Models
 process of 917K

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON

T O P I C    R E V I E W
gdist43 Posted - 12/05/2010 : 14:51:21
Hi folks, A bit late but still this year is 40th anniversary since Porsche got their first victory at Le Mans... you know I had a short trip to Monterey Historic Weekend last Summer with Mike and saw moving 917K at Laguna Seca. So fantasitic and made up my mind to build it up when I back home! Unfortunatery it has been hard to manage it for these months-long but I'm so happy now getting an opportunity to post here my build up process.

A bit old-fassioned resin kit by Provence Moulage.

With something update parts.

Tryed to attach the tires to the body.

Removed thick edges around the wheel arch and set a spare tire.

That's it today,
Akihiro
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
gdist43 Posted - 06/01/2011 : 17:08:45
Wow wow, so many words reward me. I was glad to share the process on this forum. Thank you very much... The model has been shipped to Mike already. Hope he receive it and send to the customer with safety.

Akihiro
cpete Posted - 05/26/2011 : 15:07:08
Amazing work!
Well stated before, that it looks like a much larger scale. The detail is perfect and so perfectly proportioned, that it could be mistaken for a much larger kit.
Thank you again for sharing the process, and inspiring others like me to try to go beyond just the kit itself. Though mine will NEVER look like yours, it sure helps to see some of the steps that I might be able to try, and also to know that you have things 'not work out' the first time too.
Thanks again and again

Chad
Trossi Posted - 05/26/2011 : 11:57:45
Your model has shown me how beautiful the 917 actually is. Btw: Didnt Paddock announced this version... some years ago?
43king Posted - 05/23/2011 : 00:05:55
two thumbs up!real high grade 1/43 car!
250GTE Posted - 05/22/2011 : 16:24:42
WOW!!!!!!!!!!
Trossi Posted - 05/22/2011 : 08:51:50
I couldnt agree more. I absolutely love this model and indeed it looks so easy, but anyone who builts or has ever tried to build a model knows how hard this is, especially when your working on extremely small details in an also small scale as 1/43rd.
F1tommy Posted - 05/22/2011 : 07:14:26
Amazing work, as usual from you. The 917K is always a tricky car to do correctly due to the complicated rear supports. You did it as good as anyone I have seen in 1/43rd!!

Tom Tanner/Scale Designs/Ferrari Expo 2012-Chicago March 2012
moriaan Posted - 05/22/2011 : 06:00:43
Akihiro,
You make it look easy...
In fact its sooooo difficult!!!

Thanks for taking the time to post the process.
Its interesting seeing a master at work

Wouldn't mind seeing another..

Hans
LaSource Posted - 05/22/2011 : 05:10:02
Absolute fantastic!
pierotecchio63 Posted - 05/22/2011 : 03:22:30
One of the most beautiful model I have ever seen in 1/43.
Chapeau!
Ferrarinut Posted - 05/21/2011 : 18:00:41
Spectacular build! I think my favorite photo is the rear angle, the stance is perfect. It does not even look like a 1/43 model, appears much larger. Congratulations Akihiro, brilliant job and so fascinating to see the entire process.
the.x.man Posted - 05/21/2011 : 17:36:40
Absolutely incredible, Akihiro!

I have been following your work for many years now - and I have never been disappointed. Thank you so much for sharing, we all appreciate it very much.

gdist43 Posted - 05/21/2011 : 16:35:51
This maybe the last post of my 917 building process. Almost a half year... I appreciate for your watching with patience, anyway.

I scratched the tail lights from a junk piece in 1/24 scale model kit. The put them on a basement with 0.1mm nickel silver plate.

Then I fixed the basement to the surport frame. Both tail spoilers were attached, too.

As you know 1/1 917 has several complicated details like these cowl stoppers. I simplified them for 1/43 and then made them with a silver channel and a plate.

I glued the stoppers and touched up something shade with enamel flat black paint.

Looks a bit over-scale but my trick was successful.

I made small rings with 0.1mm soft wire and put them around the front nose. Another important detail is the kill-off switch... I almost missed it but made with 0.4mm nickel silver line.

Here are several completed photos, side view.

Rear view.

I shot over 100 photos and this might be the best!
gdist43 Posted - 05/18/2011 : 20:04:59
I'm sorry I could not stay at my work bench too long for these days. Only three images around the sub-frames and the exhaust pipes below.

I set up the subframes and then glued spare tire to the backside of the body. A tiny strap on the spare tire was made of 0.5mm nickel silver strip, however, its width looks too bold. I remade it later...

This is one of tasks this model gave me, how to make the exhaust stems. Actually I procrastinated it so long time but did it last night with a nickel silver chip and a brass hex bolt head. A 0.25mm nickel silver line around the stem gives a 3D appearance.

The reserve square tank, I separated it from the underbody quite a few month ago. I painted it like yellowish FRP and then backed it again.
F1tommy Posted - 05/12/2011 : 05:50:51
Great looking model. I love your Goodyear blue streaks. The shape of the PM 917K was always very nice. I miss having their model catalog
come out every month or two.

Tom Tanner/Scale Designs/Ferrari Expo 2012-Chicago March 2012

MiniWerks :: Fine Handbuilt Models from around the World :: Contact MiniWerks :: MiniWerks on eBay © 2014 Mike McCormick. All rights reserved   Go To Top Of Page

Snitz Forums 2000