MiniWerks

Fine Handbuilt Models from around the World

Latest Models

Ford GT40 Mk.II Holman & Moody 24H Le Mans 1966

Ford GT40 Mk.II Holman & Moody 24H Le Mans 1966

Last Two! Ford GT40 Mk.II Holman & Moody 24H Le Mans 1966 Lucien Bianchi/Mario Andretti. Brand New.

» See more...

Welcome to MiniWerks Online!

The focus here is representing high–end 1/43 scale handbuilt models from the World’s top brands, as well as pieces from internationally renowned independent builders.

Mike McCormick signature

MiniWerks Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
 All Forums
 General
 1/43 scale Handbuilt Models
 Rosso Shelby Cobra 427
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Cloud 9

USA
167 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2013 :  00:24:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone!

I sent this kit to Chan several months ago, and he provided me a few pictures of the nearly completed model...

Makeup Kit...

You will notice in these photos that a few parts have yet to be applied...( wipers, hood latches, front/side Cobra logos, etc.) but that will change shortly... :D

I should receive pictures of the completed photo set plus build photos soon...Once that happens, I will list further details...

For now, these will suffice...

I requested 5 point racing harness with "Simpson" decals....ready for action... :)

Originally, I wanted the model to be painted Black....

Although it would make for a mean looking Cobra...

I felt that the color would take away from the shape too much and "drown" out the lines...

After more thought, I decided to go with a metallic red shade...

Why?

Dark enough to keep it looking intimidating, without covering up the unmistakable shape of the Cobra...A gentlemen's color...Timeless, that never goes out of style... :)

After trying many brands, the builder states he only uses PPG paint...says the product is very stable with no complaints from his other clients... :)

So after narrowing it down to a couple of choices, I went with this particular shade..

"Infra Metallic Red"

Here is the reference photo I provided to the builder...

Work in Progress Photos to come soon!

Thanks!!

museum43

Thailand
12 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2013 :  02:37:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice,Cloud 9.Can you tell me for the price?
museum43
Go to Top of Page

the.x.man

New Zealand
877 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2013 :  03:05:37  Show Profile  Visit the.x.man's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cloud 9

After more thought, I decided to go with a metallic red shade...

Why?

"Why?" To make my life miserable, that's why! You just had to have Chan paint it that colour, didn't you... I am going to dream about this model every night for weeks, now :o)

*Sigh* Life is so unfair sometimes.

the.x.man 1:43
Go to Top of Page

Anthrax

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2013 :  03:27:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Absolutely stunning! I have 1.5 kits of the Superior Cobra. .5 is for me to mess with! The other 1.0 will be a pro-build assigned to a yet to be determined builder.

I liked how Chan went with the dark wheels which sort of gives that little Cobra an even meaner look.

Thanks for the photos and I am looking forward to seeing the final product.

Mike Schmidt
Millington, NJ
Go to Top of Page

PeterW

USA
1216 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2013 :  06:22:45  Show Profile  Visit PeterW's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice work from Chan...as usual.
Go to Top of Page

Cloud 9

USA
167 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2013 :  10:54:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
museum43...Please check your email...I will let you know the price...:)

Jono...I was pretty set on going with black, but after playing around with different colors in my head, the metallic red is really the most fitting choice...even more so than blue/white stripe, in my opinion...:)

Mike...Yes, I've always wanted a 1/43 Cobra with black wheels...a must have

Hi Peter...I will pass on your words to Chan..Thanks

Edited by - Cloud 9 on 08/29/2013 11:38:57
Go to Top of Page

museum43

Thailand
12 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2013 :  11:23:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Cloud 9,Please tell your email for me.
Go to Top of Page

Roman

Slovakia
62 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2013 :  13:20:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Cloud 9,
Congratulations! Nice open / close model, building. This is definitely a good choice builder - from the Rosso! Write you when come home in your hand. How you satisfied with the model ...
Roman
Go to Top of Page

Performance

Netherlands
87 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2013 :  06:07:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks very great!! Fantastic model and good color choice!!
Be satisfied with your new model!

Never drive faster than your guadrian angel!
Go to Top of Page

43king

Hong Kong
40 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2013 :  08:45:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
show the completed car picture here.If interested please follow the WIP here:http://www.flickr.com/photos/39112317@N05/
all panel 'OPEN AND CLOSED',and smooth with body.new machined parts and etching parts.....etc
thank you
Rosso

Go to Top of Page

the.x.man

New Zealand
877 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2013 :  14:53:29  Show Profile  Visit the.x.man's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Absolutely spectacular work, Chan!

I wish it was mine...

the.x.man 1:43
Go to Top of Page

F1-Wolfgang

Germany
1884 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2013 :  15:27:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Superior built Cobra!

wolfgang
Go to Top of Page

Cloud 9

USA
167 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2013 :  19:54:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I received the model several days ago, and found some time today to take my own pictures and share with you...

Chan mounted this model on a beautiful custom made leather base...really compliments the color of the Cobra...:)

Hope you guys did not mind the heavy picture set....

Sorry, no pictures with all the panels open...

Chan was kind enough to provide me some photos on how to properly open them, but I am still deathly afraid to do so..don't want no break or damage...:)

I wish all of you could see this model in person to fully appreciate the absolutely sensational effort Chan put forth into this build....Pictures will never do it justice...surreal...haunting, really...

A few more things to bring up...

I asked Chan if this was the first Cobra model he built from this makeup kit, and his response was yes...

My first thought...that is a bit scary....

Because knowing that next customer that decides to send their makeup kit his way...I can only imagine how that would turn out...especially with his bag of tricks...:)

FInally, one question that I was dying to ask after he completed the model...

How many hours did you spend to build this Cobra?

His reply.....

About 300 hours...seeing it in person now...I have no doubt...

So...that is close to 3.5 hours each day for 90 days....

If anyone is thinking of having their dream model built, no doubt I would recommend Chan...He was a delight to work with...kept me up to date throughout the build process...

Thanks!

Edited by - Cloud 9 on 09/11/2013 20:04:09
Go to Top of Page

PeterW

USA
1216 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2013 :  07:07:08  Show Profile  Visit PeterW's Homepage  Reply with Quote
"About 300 hours...seeing it in person now...I have no doubt..."

So if this was built here in the USA at an average of $20.00/hour your looking at $6,000.00 just in labor!

And $20.00/hour is a bargain IMHO...

Just saying ;)

Be bold...open those panels already! I am sure they are forgiving.

BTW...it looks more brown in your photos...I assume that's your camera settings at fault?

One minor critique on the wheels...the knock offs are way to big...almost the same size as the wheel center itself. But...from a distance it works...artistic license I guess.

Edited by - PeterW on 09/12/2013 07:14:04
Go to Top of Page

ramapao69

Italy
512 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2013 :  08:25:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Indeed the color changes a lot between the two photo sets, it means that is a very particular color....it must be seen live i think, however Chan has made a remarkable job...congratulations ;-)
maybe I would have chosen another color for the leather base.....
Go to Top of Page

Cloud 9

USA
167 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2013 :  09:23:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PeterW

"About 300 hours...seeing it in person now...I have no doubt..."

So if this was built here in the USA at an average of $20.00/hour your looking at $6,000.00 just in labor!

And $20.00/hour is a bargain IMHO...

Just saying ;)

Be bold...open those panels already! I am sure they are forgiving.

BTW...it looks more brown in your photos...I assume that's your camera settings at fault?

One minor critique on the wheels...the knock offs are way to big...almost the same size as the wheel center itself. But...from a distance it works...artistic license I guess.

Hi Peter,

Oh yes, that would be mighty fine deal!...:)

As for Chan's rate, it is very fair for kind of work that he turns out.....

If my budget allows, I would not hesitate to send him a second makeup cobra kit to build...

Maybe today, I will open the panels...I did not touch it yesterday because I had drank a can of energy drink prior to taking pictures...hands a little shaky...:)

And yes, the color of the model is best represented by Chan's photos....The lighting/setting sure plays an important role....Guess my camera is not worthy...hehe..:0

For the knockoffs...the wheels being black and how it blends in so nicely with the tires, it plays a trick on your vision, so therefore, it's "enhanced" size did not get a second glance...Too busy admiring all the other bits and pieces...:)

quote:
Originally posted by ramapao69

Indeed the color changes a lot between the two photo sets, it means that is a very particular color....it must be seen live i think, however Chan has made a remarkable job...congratulations ;-)
maybe I would have chosen another color for the leather base.....

Hello Paolo,

Indeed live would the best solution...if I lived closer to Italy, I would share...;)

Edited by - Cloud 9 on 09/12/2013 09:29:27
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MiniWerks :: Fine Handbuilt Models from around the World :: Contact MiniWerks :: MiniWerks on eBay © 2014 Mike McCormick. All rights reserved   Go To Top Of Page

Snitz Forums 2000