MiniWerks

Fine Handbuilt Models from around the World

Latest Models

Ford GT40 Mk.II Holman & Moody 24H Le Mans 1966

Ford GT40 Mk.II Holman & Moody 24H Le Mans 1966

Last Two! Ford GT40 Mk.II Holman & Moody 24H Le Mans 1966 Lucien Bianchi/Mario Andretti. Brand New.

» See more...

Welcome to MiniWerks Online!

The focus here is representing high–end 1/43 scale handbuilt models from the World’s top brands, as well as pieces from internationally renowned independent builders.

Mike McCormick signature

MiniWerks Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
 All Forums
 General
 1/43 scale Handbuilt Models
 Minor imperfections?...yes or no
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ferrariscale

Australia
54 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2014 :  22:29:42  Show Profile  Visit ferrariscale's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi lads, first post as newbie.
Just wondering, would you purchase a higher-end model MR,BBR etc that has minor imperfections? Missing wiper, paint scratch etc..do see a few on evilbay but sometimes hesitant in the purchase. Not that it does or doesn't help resell, just that you want to display a quality model that you have paid good $ for and want it to hold value nonetheless.

Cheers. Brett

the.x.man

New Zealand
877 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2014 :  23:41:05  Show Profile  Visit the.x.man's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Probably depends on how badly you wanted that specific model, balanced against how rare it is - and whether or not you are likely to come across a mint version of the same piece within a reasonable period of time. There are very few models by either BBR or MR Collection that are so rare you only ever come across one in a lifetime. Also, it is worth running it past a reputable model builder as to having it fixed up if the imperfections are only minor.

With older BBR and MR models, it pays to be extremely wary as a model with light visible damage can often be concealing more critical damage (that perhaps even the seller is unaware of), because if the model was treated badly enough to get scratched, then that same treatment can often crack their brittle resin bodies. Always ask for high-resolution pictures if you even suspect imperfections, as digital photos are always very unkind to 1/43 models and pick up more than you would with the naked eye.

Regarding BBR or MR holding their value, damaged or otherwise, both of those companies have repeatedly shot themselves in the foot where that is concerned by re-releasing many of their so-called "limited edition" models and making their collective values almost worthless. Buy the very best version of what is the most likely to bring a smile to your face every single time you look at it! One model like that will ultimately bring you more pleasure than three slightly damaged ones, any day. That is worth more than a slight appreciation in value over a long period of time. Otherwise, you run the risk of becoming a speculator instead of remaining a collector.

For me personally, no, I could not display it unless it was perfect. I have done it in the past, but was never happy and usually ended up all but giving the model away again. The downside to this is that there have been a couple of different models in the past that I would dearly love to have, but turned down owing to their less than mint condition and as a result, I have so far missed out on ever having them, sadly... So maybe I am the fool here :o)

This is all just my opinion, of course, and I do not know nearly enough about 1/43 scale models - so you should probably take everything I say with a pinch of salt (or better yet, ignore me altogether!). There are a lot of guys in here who are far more knowledgeable and experienced than I will ever be, so if they chip in here, pay more attention to them...

the.x.man 1:43
Go to Top of Page

ferrariscale

Australia
54 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2014 :  00:22:56  Show Profile  Visit ferrariscale's Homepage  Reply with Quote
:) I can see where your coming from xman. As you say the "rare" older models with slight imperfections can hold there worth, even more-so to the buyer.

I wasn't aware that 'limited' number models were reproduced by those company's.

That shouldn't happen!?
Go to Top of Page

Models123

USA
196 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2014 :  07:53:27  Show Profile  Visit Models123's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello and welcome ferrariscale,

the.x.man is completely correct with all he said. Aside from BBR and MR "re-releasing many of their so-called 'limited edition' models" a few other model companies also do this. Some try to get away with it by releasing more color variations during initial release as well as later in the run, and thinly disguise what they are doing by giving meaningless edition names to these extra production runs. Also, all the lower end Chinese made models are always overproduced, regardless of where the home office is based. Most of the better manufacturers stay away from this screw the collector practice, but not all, so you do need to do your homework, and first and foremost: buy what you like!!

Marshall
Go to Top of Page

moriaan

Netherlands
510 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2014 :  04:04:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ferrari-scale,
you came to the right place.

knowledge is very important, use the forum, and read as much as you can in here, it will proof you worthwhile!

Go to Top of Page

Ferrari2006

Germany
352 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2014 :  08:11:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Hi Brett,

i like to know if you had buy this Model if you what to have it for your collection?

Kind regards
Fred
Go to Top of Page

ferrariscale

Australia
54 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2014 :  00:24:55  Show Profile  Visit ferrariscale's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Fred. Is this your build? Nice. PM me or email with details.
Go to Top of Page

Ferrari2006

Germany
352 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2014 :  08:56:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Hi Brett,

here you see the Model before. I make restaurations since years on older BBR, MR, AMR or Le Phoenix Models, its always a good question "buy or not to buy" :-)

This Model comes from "evilbay" and had a lot of "minor imperfections and missing parts", but now it looks like a collectible Model or what to you think?

Kind regards
Fred

Dust, missing parts and bad packing.

scratch over the hole Model

Go to Top of Page

christian

Austria
443 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2014 :  10:08:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my friend Fred is crying . it is my model and he has to ship it to Austria

about your question :
I would only buy complete models , no missing parts except wipers and parts which you can get very easy
about paint : I do not buy cars with paint chip or scratches
dirty or mat paint when it is built by BBR , MR … is no problem

as you see on the red 212 Inter
there are hundreds of damaged and repaired cars on ebay
so have a close look before you buy , If the pictures are bad ask for better ones

my personal rule is :
If you are not 100 % sure , let it go ( do not buy )

currently EVERY model pops up 2 or 3 times a year

Christian
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MiniWerks :: Fine Handbuilt Models from around the World :: Contact MiniWerks :: MiniWerks on eBay © 2014 Mike McCormick. All rights reserved   Go To Top Of Page

Snitz Forums 2000