MiniWerks

Fine Handbuilt Models from around the World

Latest Models

Ford GT40 Mk.II Holman & Moody 24H Le Mans 1966

Ford GT40 Mk.II Holman & Moody 24H Le Mans 1966

Last Two! Ford GT40 Mk.II Holman & Moody 24H Le Mans 1966 Lucien Bianchi/Mario Andretti. Brand New.

» See more...

Welcome to MiniWerks Online!

The focus here is representing high–end 1/43 scale handbuilt models from the World’s top brands, as well as pieces from internationally renowned independent builders.

Mike McCormick signature

MiniWerks Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
 All Forums
 General
 1/43 scale Handbuilt Models
 Beginners choice of model
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

drewbag

Australia
5 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2014 :  04:34:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone.
There are some fantastic models being built on this site.
I have only built one 1/43 scale model before and really enjoyed it.
I am a fan of ferrari and would like to add a couple to my collection.
However I am new to this scale of modeling and was wondering which brand some of the members on here would recommend I try.
I would like to build a ferrari 250 as it is my favorite ferrari.

If anybody knows of a good website where I can have a look at some kits available I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you

Drew

Ferrarinut

USA
1489 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2014 :  07:35:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can find a huge selection of kits on ebay, just enter search criteria such as 1/43 Starter Kit, 1/43 Provence Moulage Kit, 1/43 BBR Kit.
Go to Top of Page

drewbag

Australia
5 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2014 :  05:58:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,
Thank you for your reply.
I have been looking on eBay but was unsure of the different manufacturers.
Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.
Go to Top of Page

zolomod

Russia
44 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2014 :  09:30:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think you must to begin from white metal kit, while working with it much easier to correct mistakes. You can buy on e-bay Esprit or AMR kit. You can find prepainted kit also (look BBR kit especially)
Go to Top of Page

drewbag

Australia
5 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2014 :  14:32:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone,
I was wondering what people think of the John Day white metal kits?
I purchased one of the 250GTO Ferrari kits from eBay which arrived yesterday.
I was looking forward to opening the kit as soon as it arrived, however I am really disappointed in the quality. There are also no instructions, decals, or any other details included in the kit. Looking at the bodywork there are some molded in details that get lost (door handles, bonnet latches and scoop, fuel filler flap) there are also no headlight details and the lenses are molded onto the body...?!!
I was wondering if perhaps I got a cheap rip off kit...?

How do I post pictures?

Thanks for your time.
Go to Top of Page

the.x.man

New Zealand
877 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2014 :  17:52:14  Show Profile  Visit the.x.man's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You have not been ripped off :o)

John Day kits are quite old now and are considered to be very crude by today's standards. If you were to compare it with an Esprit43 kit, you would see what we mean; 15-20 years worth of technological advances in model making sometimes makes us forget how good most kits really are these days. John Day was actually quite a pioneer at the time.

To post pictures here is quite easy - simply upload your pictures to somewhere like Photobucket, then copy & paste the code they provide here, with 'image' tags around the code.
When you are posting, there is an image button that will provide the correct tags:
Hope that makes sense...

the.x.man 1:43
Go to Top of Page

cico

Italy
82 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2014 :  00:31:02  Show Profile  Visit cico's Homepage  Reply with Quote
John Day? Oh my God.....
If you like white metal for the 250GTO you have no choise: AMR, Le Phoenix or Esprit43.

Edited by - cico on 06/13/2014 00:41:00
Go to Top of Page

moriaan

Netherlands
510 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2014 :  03:59:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Come on guys!

You can't compare a John Day kit with an amr of Le phoenix!

Thats a bit disrespectfull....

John Day was the pioneer of whitemetal kits and the one of the very first!

In its day it was a very good modell, but we are used to much better models nowadays.

as a starter I would not recommend AMR or Esprit, those are quite expensive try-outs.

For paint and exercise John Day is not that bad of a choice, if you can make this one look good, you can move on to better kits.

On this forum it looks easy to build a modell, but thats not how it actually goes, the models you see here are better than most of us will ever build!

Hans

Edited by - moriaan on 06/13/2014 04:04:44
Go to Top of Page

drewbag

Australia
5 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2014 :  03:59:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks for the replies,

i'm glad i have not been ripped off :-)
however i am not happy with the quality of the John Day kit. But at least i have something to work with now :-)

I had a look at the Le Phoenix, AMR and Esprit43 kits. Wow they are expensive!! I do appreciate the detail provided in the kit, but unfortunately a bit out of my price range.

I have ordered an after market set to suit FERRARI 250 GTO '62/64 REMEMBER TK02 from ebay, so that i can modify the John Day kit as best as i can. I plan to remove all of the molded in detail and replace it with either machined parts, photo etch or the stick on lenses. I am stuck with how to modify the original kit to add the chrome windscreen surrounds. If anybody has any ideas i would greatly appreciate the help.

Thanks for your time,

Drew
Go to Top of Page

drewbag

Australia
5 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2014 :  06:09:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Moriaan,
I definitely agree with what you said. Now that I understand that the John Day kit I purchased is quite old I can see the quality with it.
I think that you are right with saying that with today's technology, modelers are quite spoiled with very high quality parts that are quite accurate and that are well enough engineered that they will fit together with minimal work.

I will be using this John Day kit to practice with. And I would also like to do as good of a job as I am capable of to achieve what I consider to be a good representation.
Go to Top of Page

914joe

USA
206 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2014 :  06:44:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree that a John Day kit is a good first kit. I'd suggest to start by fitting the kit parts and working on a good paint job and not go overboard on extra detailing. Making window surrounds is tricky and I'd would just paint with a brush... AMR's don't have separate window trim and you see plenty of fine builds with that kit. Try not to go for ultimate detail and instead try for a accurate impression.

think small
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MiniWerks :: Fine Handbuilt Models from around the World :: Contact MiniWerks :: MiniWerks on eBay © 2014 Mike McCormick. All rights reserved   Go To Top Of Page

Snitz Forums 2000