MiniWerks

Fine Handbuilt Models from around the World

Latest Models

Ford GT40 Mk.II Holman & Moody 24H Le Mans 1966

Ford GT40 Mk.II Holman & Moody 24H Le Mans 1966

Last Two! Ford GT40 Mk.II Holman & Moody 24H Le Mans 1966 Lucien Bianchi/Mario Andretti. Brand New.

» See more...

Welcome to MiniWerks Online!

The focus here is representing high–end 1/43 scale handbuilt models from the World’s top brands, as well as pieces from internationally renowned independent builders.

Mike McCormick signature

MiniWerks Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
 All Forums
 General
 1/43 scale Handbuilt Models
 BBR Deluxe and other Exclusive Versions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ferrari458Spider

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2015 :  20:24:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All,

I'm new to this hobby and may I ask if the BBR Deluxe and other Exclusive versions (collaborated with other dealers) are made in China or Italy?

I know BBR started having a factory in China and mass produced different models. Honestly, the quality is not bad and very close to those made in Italy.

But I would like to know clearly where they were made so as to justify the price selling in secondary market.

Also, I heard from a local model store that less people are in this hobby now. Is it true?

Thank you and have a great weekend!

Jerry

the.x.man

New Zealand
877 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2015 :  00:03:11  Show Profile  Visit the.x.man's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Jerry, welcome aboard.

I really could not say for sure, but I think most, if not all, of BBR's models are now produced out of their China facility. As I understand it, only the development and small runs of very special models happens in Italy. However, I am sure there will be someone else here who can be more certain.

As for the declining numbers of 1/43 scale hand built collectors, sadly yes, at the moment that is indeed the case. A combination a many factors - for example; two recent world recessions, a growing interest in 1/18 scale and a lack of kits have all had an impact on our hobby.

the.x.man 1:43
Go to Top of Page

SAMLAMBO

Singapore
87 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2015 :  06:46:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I started of with MR, BBR, Technomodel, Ilaro, etc etc many years ago and I sold them all of back in 2007. I am glad I did because today they are retailing around the same prices I used to buy them at, some even cheaper and probably because of demand supply. Also every other model is a limited edition, just doesn't make sense these days. I guess to these factories its all about dollars and cents and you can't blame them, its a business to them.

I recently have started collecting car models again but only high end models from Master Craftsmen's like Frederic Suber, Steve Barnett, Jacques Brauer, Laurent Tay, Stefane Dufrene, Peter W and Bosica. These models don't come cheap at all but again they are really the best you can get out there in terms of the level of detailing that goes into it, it can sometimes take up to 1 year to have your model built, providing the master craftsman has the kit. They also add on a lot of scratch built parts which don't come with the kit. Jacques Brauer builds from scratch and his models are easily in the thousands of dollars.

Now todays new younger generation don't want to spend this kind of money and most can't afford it. They rather buy ready made builds from brands like Autoart, Kyosho and even MR and BBR which is a fraction of the price. But again your not going to get the same level of built quality.

Many of the high end model collectors are growing older and want to scale down their collections which is when you see these high end models pop up on ebay, not so often but it does pop up. I just picked up one(factory Bosica 156/85) from a private collector through a serious collector also in this forum. I still can't thank him enough :)
The newer generation wants bigger scales like 1/18 at a fraction of the price. What I personally feel is that this newer generation when they grow older, there will be these very few that will want to move on to the high end detail models but till than there will be a gap/void period that we are facing now. Every business has a cycle and we are at the low end of the cycle right now but I am pretty sure the demand will increase again in years to come.

It's good that your starting of with BBR and MR which are still beautiful. From here you will learn to appreciate the higher end models. Thats how most of us here started of and trust me it can get very addictive. :) In the meantime, don't hesitate to ask any questions here or from builders, browse as much as you can theres tons of info over the net. Its the only way to learn and only with time you will learn to love this more. Welcome!

Edited by - SAMLAMBO on 12/14/2015 06:50:39
Go to Top of Page

Dave G

Netherlands
58 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2015 :  08:08:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If I am not mistaken the Deluxe and Exclusive series should be produced in Italy - according BBR's website. I am curious too to the real differences with regards to build quality. The specific leather bases are nice, but if the models are practically identical then the limited production number would not be that important to me, as long as the model itself is high quality.

Of course the "artisan" models top whatever comes from BBR but it is not a realistic comparison. I think one should buy the best model one's budget allows... And indeed, searching for a certain model and finding it after a long period adds to the flavor ;)
Go to Top of Page

swbobsessed

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2015 :  20:40:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My understanding is only a couple lines of BBR are made in China, I think Blue Moon and Project and Concept 43. All of the BBR's I have purchased, most of them recently are all made in Italy and clearly identifiable by the fact they say MADE IN ITALY on them. I believe all vintage Ferrari BBR 1/43 are produced in Italy, I've only seen f430 etc made in China, and 1/18 250 tr?

I really don't think you have to worry, It doesn't seem BBR has tried to fool anyone, only made some cheaper model lines, would these have been better served built in Italian craftsman? Probably! Some could argue this degrades the brand.

That being said I'm not really sure whats currently being built or left over in terms of Vintage Ferrari 1/43 from BBR and If I want Chinese made models I'll just buy Spark when I can find em for so cheap. I hope I'm still able to collect Italian BBR in the future as I'm also new to being able to afford them this level of model.
Go to Top of Page

Dries1

Netherlands
98 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2015 :  11:10:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe you can see it in the coding of the model number.

BBRC or BBR C=China.
Go to Top of Page

Dave G

Netherlands
58 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2015 :  11:37:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dries1

I believe you can see it in the coding of the model number.

BBRC or BBR C=China.

I think that denotes the Concept43 series, which is built in China
Go to Top of Page

moriaan

Netherlands
510 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2015 :  11:38:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Made in Italy is not the same as built in Italy...

C=Concept= China.

A few years back allmost everything was assembled in China (at the time of the Enzo production) and BBR Italy only employed a few people.

I recently heard from a knowledgeable source BBR assembles most of the models in Italy again. China is a difficult country to work with..
Go to Top of Page

SAMLAMBO

Singapore
87 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2015 :  20:15:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why not just emai and ask them ?
Go to Top of Page

swbobsessed

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2015 :  22:26:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did just notice this at the bottom of a new bbr email announcement hope it helps;

Dear Customers,
We offer you this special one off owned only by Steve McQueen. This car is very different from the normal 275 GTS7R. there are no bumpers, inside and the rear parts are completely different.
The blue met color is beautiful with the spoke wheels that are a replica of the original Borrani wheels.
This model is completely made in Italy.
This model will be available starting from end of January 2016 and you can choose between the version with or without display case.

So you should just contact them or email them or read their announcements carefully
Go to Top of Page

cico

Italy
82 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2015 :  01:18:49  Show Profile  Visit cico's Homepage  Reply with Quote
BBR Italian factory in Saronno :

http://cicogallery.blogspot.it/2014/04/bbr-experience-un-sentito.html
Go to Top of Page

cico

Italy
82 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2015 :  04:03:57  Show Profile  Visit cico's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Concept43 are kit made in Saronno but assembled in China and then return in Italy for quality control, you can see photo of LaFerrari in my blog for example.
Other 1/43 models are all Made in Italy.
For 1/18 is not easy to resume, many change.
Go to Top of Page

Ferrari458Spider

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2015 :  22:01:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks everyone for your advice! Very useful and I learned a lot from you all. My collection is a bit "messy" right now and I'm trying to find a direction I want to head to.

Thanks again and wish you all a wonderful Christmas!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MiniWerks :: Fine Handbuilt Models from around the World :: Contact MiniWerks :: MiniWerks on eBay © 2014 Mike McCormick. All rights reserved   Go To Top Of Page

Snitz Forums 2000