MiniWerks

Fine Handbuilt Models from around the World

Latest Models

Ford GT40 Mk.II Holman & Moody 24H Le Mans 1966

Ford GT40 Mk.II Holman & Moody 24H Le Mans 1966

Last Two! Ford GT40 Mk.II Holman & Moody 24H Le Mans 1966 Lucien Bianchi/Mario Andretti. Brand New.

» See more...

Welcome to MiniWerks Online!

The focus here is representing high–end 1/43 scale handbuilt models from the World’s top brands, as well as pieces from internationally renowned independent builders.

Mike McCormick signature

MiniWerks Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
 All Forums
 General
 1/43 scale Handbuilt Models
 AMR, Le Phoenix, BBR tire scuffing
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ferrari4evr1

USA
297 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2010 :  16:54:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello, i thought i would ask the experts and model builders about older models and tire scuffing? What i mean is, i have seen some older AMR, Le Phoenix or BBR models with this whitish film or scuffed look on the tires. The tires look sort of worn down. I was wondering if there is anyway to fix this to make it look normal again? Without damaging the tires or car?

I guess you could turn the tire around and hope that the other side is not scuffed or has a residue? But if both sides are scuffed? I would think tire shine but that would make it TOO shiny and probably not good for this kind of rubber? Any advice would be appreciated.

James

the.x.man

New Zealand
877 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2010 :  18:43:29  Show Profile  Visit the.x.man's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That white-ish film that appears on the tires sometimes is usually caused by solvent fumes from the glue, James. It can happen if a model is closed up tight in its display case before everything has had a chance to cure thoroughly. I am not sure if there is a solution for the the problem, short of fitting new tires, but perhaps some of the guys here might know of something?

batigol

Italy
40 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2010 :  07:45:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can clean the tyres with thinner antisilicone

02.03.2008 DIO ESISTE E TIFA VIOLA....GRAZIE RAGAZZI
18.05.2008 LA CONFERMA.............
http://www.modelfactory.it
A chi mi chiede se sono il migliore e rispondo di si, passo da presuntuoso, se rispondo di no sono bugiardo !!
Bruce Lee
Go to Top of Page

ferrari4evr1

USA
297 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2010 :  07:53:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by batigol

You can clean the tyres with thinner antisilicone

A chi mi chiede se sono il migliore e rispondo di si, passo da presuntuoso, se rispondo di no sono bugiardo !!
Bruce Lee

Thanks the.x.man and batigol! I will try thinner antisilicone.
Can you buy this at your local hobby store? It is like paint thinner?

James
Go to Top of Page

batigol

Italy
40 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2010 :  12:06:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I buy it where I buy the pro paint for my job.

Bruce Lee
Go to Top of Page

vova43

Russia
186 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2010 :  05:43:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good, you can clear rests of glue with thinner.
But what to do in case of extracting something like oil from the tire? The tire became covered with this "oil", small drop appeared on the surface under wheel, and tire became hard like stone and very fragile.
All this looks like the result of chemical reaction inside the tire which leads to destruction of rubber. So, what to do if there are no possibilities to get new tires?
Vladimir

Go to Top of Page

zolomod

Russia
44 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2011 :  08:20:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The solution that I found: ear stick + olive oil (better extra virgin, I think :)), lubricate the rubber and enjoy
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MiniWerks :: Fine Handbuilt Models from around the World :: Contact MiniWerks :: MiniWerks on eBay © 2014 Mike McCormick. All rights reserved   Go To Top Of Page

Snitz Forums 2000