MiniWerks

Fine Handbuilt Models from around the World

Latest Models

Ford GT40 Mk.II Holman & Moody 24H Le Mans 1966

Ford GT40 Mk.II Holman & Moody 24H Le Mans 1966

Last Two! Ford GT40 Mk.II Holman & Moody 24H Le Mans 1966 Lucien Bianchi/Mario Andretti. Brand New.

» See more...

Welcome to MiniWerks Online!

The focus here is representing high–end 1/43 scale handbuilt models from the World’s top brands, as well as pieces from internationally renowned independent builders.

Mike McCormick signature

MiniWerks Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
 All Forums
 General
 Self-built Models
 The Original Shark: Making of BMW ///M635CSi
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ItalianHorses

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2010 :  17:23:15  Show Profile  Visit ItalianHorses's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I present you The Original Shark - Tamiya BMW ///M635 CSi. One of the most charismatic bimmers of the 1980's, the car that inspired hoards of followers and imitators in automotive world, but was never excelled in its time.

A high-end two-door luxury sports coupe dubbed the "Bavarian Ferrari", E24 6-series is considered by many to be the most aesthetically pleasing BMW of all time. Just 86,219 units were built between November 1975 and April 1989. About half of those came to the United States.

The M635CSi was introduced in Europe at the Frankfurt Motor Show in 1983. It is essentially an E24 powered by the powerplant of the BMW M1 (the M88, now putting out 286 PS (282 hp/210 kW)). A catalyzed, lower compression ratio version of the car with the S38 engine putting out 260 PS (256 hp/191 kW) was introduced in the U.S. in 1987. All M635/M6s came standard with a 25% rear differential. U.S. models included additional comforts such as Nappa leather power seats and a dedicated rear A/C unit with a center beverage chiller.

The kit is an older (and not the most detailed), but still very nice Tamiya kit. Biggest advantage of this kit is the fact that it (mostly) has a good parts fit, as compared to famous Fujimi Entusiast version! I will be building the kit with the help of Studio 27 photoetched set, MSM Creating badging, and a few aftermarket additions such as wiring, flocking, BMF, and little 'Upgrade" bits here and there which I will point out during this WIP. Enjoy!

Body of the Tamiya kit is rather clean, and not too complex. It had few very faint mold lines that were sanded off, and few sink marks (trunk, sides) that were fixed with Tamiya putty and sanded smooth. I also removed embossed emblems (will use MSM Creating stuff) and shaved off door handles (S27 P/E will replace that).

Body, hood and chassis was washed, sanded, mounted and shot with a few light coats of Tamiya primer.

Finally, all parts were painted with Zero paints Tabago Blau, and clearcoated with 2K clear.

After painting, I BMF'ed window trim all around. Side windows were the trickiest of all, but they just wouldn't look right if painted.

Most chrome parts were stripped, because chrome quality was far from perfect, it was scratched, plus I was modifying parts anyway:

Wheels were rebuilt using parts from S27 set, I also scratchbuilt attachments similar to tamiya system, added valves, weights, nuts, and BBS decals from spares box.

Bumpers were painted and covered with BMF, other small parts sorted by color, and painted.

Interior tub, seats and dash were assembled, cleaned, sanded, puttied, then primed and painted.

I then flocked interior floor (Detail Master), added seatbelts (Hobby Design hardware), few scratchbuilt and S27 bits, and detail painted the rest.

Dash was painted, detailed, etc. I used gauge decal from Fujimi kit, as Tamiya provided none!

Completed interior:

Rebuilt shocks/coils:

Brakes:

Radiator, exhausts, manifolds:

Engine block and intake put together and detail painted. most of the wiring and plumbing will be done once installed:

Completed chassis and suspension detail:

Checking the stance and tolerances:

Lights were assembled using various parts from S27 set, detail painted and installed:

Made a working antenna, just for fun :-)

Installed exhaust after gluing in the chassis. Made new tips out of aluminum tubing for more realism:

Completed engine bay/wiring/plumbing/weathering:

and finally few pix of complete model.

Thanks!

the.x.man

New Zealand
877 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2010 :  18:29:01  Show Profile  Visit the.x.man's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good to see it finally finished. I like the working aerial, that is a very cool little touch!

LaSource

356 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2010 :  21:49:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love such threads. Thanks for sharing.
Go to Top of Page

ioannis

Greece
494 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2010 :  22:16:45  Show Profile  Visit ioannis's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Awesome model Alex.
Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

ramapao69

Italy
512 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2010 :  23:15:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
great work !! i love that car....my best friend had it for many years.....red.....fantastic and very fast!!!

Edited by - ramapao69 on 10/27/2010 23:16:03
Go to Top of Page

ItalianHorses

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2010 :  05:55:40  Show Profile  Visit ItalianHorses's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys. I really appreciate it.

PS: John, I sent you couple emails, did you get them?
I might be having problems with my email again. Let me know.
Alex

Go to Top of Page

moriaan

Netherlands
510 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2010 :  13:48:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This was the dreamcar of my youth!
My father has driven BMW since 1973, and everytime he went to the dealer, I went along! Sat in the M1 of Lammers, and saw several special BMW's over the years. I had all the brochures.

Its a huge car, but its still fantastic!

Great build Alex!
Go to Top of Page

ramapao69

Italy
512 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2010 :  14:16:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This was the one of my friend....

[
Go to Top of Page

ioannis

Greece
494 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2010 :  05:50:21  Show Profile  Visit ioannis's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Alex, I sent 3 mails already.
I received your mails but it seems you can not see my mails.
If you are not seeing the last mail I sent you today please let me know and I'll try through Jono.
Go to Top of Page

ItalianHorses

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2010 :  08:12:42  Show Profile  Visit ItalianHorses's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Got them now John.
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Salegosse

France
65 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2010 :  14:03:58  Show Profile  Visit Salegosse's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice works, thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Trossi

232 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2010 :  15:22:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Truly great work and a really cool subject by the way! I love these old BMWs. Looking forward to hold Shin Collections announced kit of the BMW M3 (e30) in my hands!

By the way Alex: Do you use primer from a Tamyia spray can?
Go to Top of Page

ItalianHorses

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2010 :  16:49:31  Show Profile  Visit ItalianHorses's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I use several primers, but yes, mostly use Tamiya white and gray, straight from can, and I also use primers from Zero Paints through the airbrush a lot lately. Both are really fine, and sand real well.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MiniWerks :: Fine Handbuilt Models from around the World :: Contact MiniWerks :: MiniWerks on eBay © 2014 Mike McCormick. All rights reserved   Go To Top Of Page

Snitz Forums 2000