MiniWerks

Fine Handbuilt Models from around the World

Latest Models

Ford GT40 Mk.II Holman & Moody 24H Le Mans 1966

Ford GT40 Mk.II Holman & Moody 24H Le Mans 1966

Last Two! Ford GT40 Mk.II Holman & Moody 24H Le Mans 1966 Lucien Bianchi/Mario Andretti. Brand New.

» See more...

Welcome to MiniWerks Online!

The focus here is representing high–end 1/43 scale handbuilt models from the World’s top brands, as well as pieces from internationally renowned independent builders.

Mike McCormick signature

MiniWerks Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 General
 Large scale - 1/18, 1/12, etc.
 CMC announces Ferrari 250 GTO

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Trossi Posted - 10/10/2015 : 04:54:03
Today I noticed that CMC has announced the iconic 250 GTO in 1/18 scale. This is interesting because they do not have an official license from Ferrari anymore. Maybe they got the Exoto way and offer it as CMC-Ferrari.

The model itself has a price tag of around 500 US$ which means that CMC continues to rise its prices.

Regarding the quality of the model I would like to hear what experts like Marshall Buck have to say about it. In my opinion the nose/front of the car is not correct, but I don't know which sample model they used.
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Carlo Posted - 02/28/2016 : 09:53:04
The CMC model is based on the actual shape of s/n 3809 GT, located in Germany as written by Ferrari2006. I saw this car at the Pantheon in Basel in 2011 (see pics). I agree with models123 and PeterW. For me, it is also very important to get the most accurate shape. However this is extremely difficult with the GTO’s, because all of them had numerous incidents and/or have been repaired/restaured/modified by the the owner, the factory but also by local agents. The actual s/n 3809 has a modified noise.

So the main question is which one is the original and should be reproduced as model? In this case, I would also choose another GTO s/n.

Regarding the quality, in my opinion the CMC models remain DieCast Models but with a very good quality level. I think it's worth your money, considering the details and the materials used for the 1800 parts composing it. For the color choices (3 other colors), also a NO GO for me (if it is 3809GT).

PeterW Posted - 11/09/2015 : 06:46:00
PeterW Posted - 11/06/2015 : 05:36:50
Still a bit toy like and some inaccuracy but FWIW here is a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8D0dvnz7KE&feature=share
noelsairplanes Posted - 10/25/2015 : 09:33:31
In spite of all the negative comments, I'll go so far as to say the CMC, overall, will be the best 250 GTO, in 1/18th scale, produced to date. Maybe in the future, if Exoto brings out their version ( don't hold your breathe waiting ) maybe it will be better. Of course, at a rumored price around 2K,it should be. You can find fault with any model out there, we all know that, don't we?
F1tommy Posted - 10/21/2015 : 12:39:15
quote:
Originally posted by PeterW

In what way is the body shape wrong on the HIRO 1/12 GTO? If there are mistakes they haven't jumped out at me yet. Suber is not the only one building their GTO kits ;)

I agree, the Hiro is really nice. I think maybe the rear wheel arches might be a little to far up, but not by much. Otherwise I have not seen better on the market other than custom built models. The CMC looks like a toy with Tonka Toy knock offs.
Ferrari2006 Posted - 10/20/2015 : 21:56:21
Pictures made by me @ Solitude Race 2011, just 6KM away from my Home :-)

This is the CMC GTO.

[URL=http://s232.photobucket.com/user/ferrari-sammler/media/DSC07116_zpsixfwkpx3.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s232.photobucket.com/user/ferrari-sammler/media/DSC07115_zpsknccz9s3.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s232.photobucket.com/user/ferrari-sammler/media/DSC07113_zpsqsnffzht.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s232.photobucket.com/user/ferrari-sammler/media/DSC07119_zpsdwhwvav5.jpg.html][/URL]

PeterW Posted - 10/16/2015 : 07:00:36
DITO on this comment. Working with them was a living hell!

Exoto has the worst customer service and the worst ethics in the entire model industry.
PeterW Posted - 10/16/2015 : 06:49:39
In what way is the body shape wrong on the HIRO 1/12 GTO? If there are mistakes they haven't jumped out at me yet. Suber is not the only one building their GTO kits ;)

As far as quality control on the CMC models most recently [for me at least] it was the paint. Too many surface flaws.
noelsairplanes Posted - 10/16/2015 : 06:41:01
I'm curious when you refer to the "poor quality control" of CMC models? I have almost 40 of them and have never had a issue so, exactly what are you referring to? I guess I'm not the purest that you are. So many models on the market with mistakes in body shape and other details. I've also read that the body shape on Hiro's 1/12th version is wrong but seems to be acceptable enough for builders like Suber. I will reserve final judgment until after receiving the one I have on order.
Models123 Posted - 10/16/2015 : 06:29:34
Regarding Exoto's 250 LM Filipinetti car..... I might have jumped the gun with my comment about the livery. It may very well be that it is correct on the model, and that it did differ on the two sides of the car. That said, I stand behind other comments.

Marshall
Models123 Posted - 10/16/2015 : 05:54:54
Though it might be "the finest factory built 1/18th scale model of" a 250 GTO yet, that still doesn't excuse the mistakes, poor quality control, fantasy color versions, or not having chosen a better GTO to replicate in the first place.

Yes, Exoto has been claiming for many years now that they were going to make GTO model. They've just released their 250 LM priced from $1,700 for a plain non race version to $2,000 for the #27 Scuderia Filipinetti Le Mans car with mistakes on the livery!! If you want the model with correct livery, then expect Exoto to charge you another $500!!

$2,000 for a 1:18 scale mass produced Chinese diecast..... What the hell are they smoking??

Exoto has the worst customer service and the worst ethics in the entire model industry.

Marshall
noelsairplanes Posted - 10/16/2015 : 02:37:08
You may be right about the body shape not being correct but, at least at this point in time, I'm sure that overall, it will still be the finest factory built 1/18th scale model of this car, ever offered. Rumor has it that Exoto is going to release a version at a price of 2K!They promised this years ago and the model never materialized! Anyone who has dealt with them knows they're not to be trusted!
PeterW Posted - 10/15/2015 : 06:44:30
Well...then they are simply scale toys ;)
Models123 Posted - 10/15/2015 : 06:07:39
quote:
Originally posted by PeterW

.....Perhaps Marshall can answer this...do they require Ferrari's blessing on these? If so they should put the brakes on this one.

From what I have recently read, which CMC has posted, it appears that they do not need, and do not have any license with Ferrari. Looks as though they are also not required to by law!! That goes along with exactly what I have found and been told by others in this business.

There is no need for CMC to "put the brakes on this one." And certainly, CMC has looked into this in depth.

There are most definitely loopholes for model manufacturers to work within. However...... the car companies ALL have well paid legal departments that at any whim of upper management can still go on the attack even if they are wrong; forcing any model company to defend themselves straight into bankruptcy. So I still see it as somewhat of a minefield at this time.

Here is what CMC has put out to address the licensing issue:
“Please note that the manufacturing and distribution of the suspended scale models does not require any license, in particular not from Ferrari. The model cars are true scale models of original Ferrari cars which were produced more than 25 years ago. Any design which has been published earlier than 25 years ago automatically belongs to the public domain because of the maximum duration of protection of any design registration. Therefore, no authorization is required for the production and distribution of respective scale models.
Please further note that the European Court of Justice (ECJ) and various national courts accordingly (Germany, Spain, Italy etc) ruled that the affixing of a trade mark on scale models in order faithfully to reproduce original cars, and the marketing of those scale models does not constitute a use of the trade mark which the proprietor of the trade mark is entitled to prevent (cf. ECJ, Case C-48/05 – judgment of 25 January 2007, GRUR Int. 2007, 404 – Adam Opel / Autec, copy attached; Federal High Court of Germany, judgment of 14 January 2010 – I ZR 88/08, GRUR 2010, 726 et seq. – Opel Blitz II).
Therefore, it is not justified to ask importers of scale models for authorizations with regard to manufacturer brands or designs older than 25 years.”

Marshall
PeterW Posted - 10/14/2015 : 07:12:55
I agree with Marshall. Not at all impressed with the photos I have seen so far. Simply a shame they are missing the mark on such an important subject!

Perhaps Marshall can answer this...do they require Ferrari's blessing on these? If so they should put the brakes on this one.

MiniWerks :: Fine Handbuilt Models from around the World :: Contact MiniWerks :: MiniWerks on eBay © 2014 Mike McCormick. All rights reserved   Go To Top Of Page

Snitz Forums 2000