MiniWerks

Fine Handbuilt Models from around the World

Latest Models

Ford GT40 Mk.II Holman & Moody 24H Le Mans 1966

Ford GT40 Mk.II Holman & Moody 24H Le Mans 1966

Last Two! Ford GT40 Mk.II Holman & Moody 24H Le Mans 1966 Lucien Bianchi/Mario Andretti. Brand New.

» See more...

Welcome to MiniWerks Online!

The focus here is representing high–end 1/43 scale handbuilt models from the World’s top brands, as well as pieces from internationally renowned independent builders.

Mike McCormick signature

MiniWerks Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
 All Forums
 General
 Large scale - 1/18, 1/12, etc.
 CMC announces Ferrari 250 GTO
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Trossi

232 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2015 :  04:54:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today I noticed that CMC has announced the iconic 250 GTO in 1/18 scale. This is interesting because they do not have an official license from Ferrari anymore. Maybe they got the Exoto way and offer it as CMC-Ferrari.

The model itself has a price tag of around 500 US$ which means that CMC continues to rise its prices.

Regarding the quality of the model I would like to hear what experts like Marshall Buck have to say about it. In my opinion the nose/front of the car is not correct, but I don't know which sample model they used.

christian

Austria
443 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2015 :  06:04:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
32 cars where built with this body
all these cars are different
you can not build 4 different chassis numbers with the same body

as sample the Aston Martin Zagato is based on a replica ........
Go to Top of Page

Trossi

232 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2015 :  12:50:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is true: 250 GTO and its variations and details are some kind of science. CMC will have used one to measure and paint it in different colors.
Go to Top of Page

moriaan

Netherlands
510 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2015 :  04:23:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
like they allways do... their models are beautifull, but not correct in 99,9% of their production..
Go to Top of Page

Models123

USA
196 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2015 :  06:21:39  Show Profile  Visit Models123's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Once again CMC have proved that they don't have a good understanding of the market, and that they are either too lazy, too arrogant or too cheap to do proper research on GTO's in general, let alone the one they chose. Why not make a good '64 GTO as many other collectors have already suggested, or how about a 275 GTB/C and get many versions - they could make many of something that no one else has done.... Well that would have been too logical, and would have taken some thought and research!! Granted there will always be buyers for a "CMC" GTO model, but so many collectors already have good series 1 GTO models, and the market for these models IS saturated. Everybody and their brother have made one, and for too many years now.

From just a little digging, it appears that CMC used Ch. No. 3809GT as their reference/car for modeling. That GTO is located in Germany, and has been for most of its existence, so it was easily accessible to CMC. They seem to have a habit of working just with locally available cars if possible - less distance and expense for their engineers to travel to. That makes sense, and I'm ok with that, BUT only when the car to model is a good choice..... not out of sheer convenience. There are other GTO's that would have been better cars to model than this one.

I think that given the price range (they are not free, and are not inexpensive) and how very many will be produced, any manufacturer has an obligation to do the best they can, not just doing what is convenient for them. Oh, and better research would help too!

3809GT has been crashed & rebuilt a number of times. If rebuilt in period by the factory that is always acceptable in car collector circles, but unfortunately, this one, when restored a long time ago, used some "new" body panels & parts that were ALL constructed in England!! So...it does NOT look like it did when originally constructed, and unfortunately it is also Not a good match for any other 250 GTO. And of course the body on this car was also never painted any color other than red, however, the Red version CMC is making is a pretty good match for just this one car, and only as it sits restored (improperly) now. So for some or many model collectors, that may be fine, and for others it will not be. Personally I think it is just a complete waste and ridiculous to make fantasy models, which is what the blue, yellow and silver versions are.

I'm happy with the several GTO models I already have (in 1:43, 1:18, and 1:12 scales) and am not very impressed with the CMC body shape as shown in their publicity photos - nose & headlamps look odd because they are! They are only a good match for this one improperly restored car with non Ferrari body panels! And there are many other detail issues and problems big and small (as with many of their models). If you have to have one of these new GTO's, and if I was considering one, which I am Not, then I would wait until CMC and their numerous dealers start dumping them with various sales just as they have always done with most all of their models; or until dealers start discounting, which they will. Unfortunately the sale practice of theirs, along with everyone on eBay discounting the models does definitely devalue the CMC brand, and shows that they have as usual..... over produced.

Marshall
Go to Top of Page

PeterW

USA
1216 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2015 :  07:12:55  Show Profile  Visit PeterW's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I agree with Marshall. Not at all impressed with the photos I have seen so far. Simply a shame they are missing the mark on such an important subject!

Perhaps Marshall can answer this...do they require Ferrari's blessing on these? If so they should put the brakes on this one.

Edited by - PeterW on 10/14/2015 07:14:56
Go to Top of Page

Models123

USA
196 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2015 :  06:07:39  Show Profile  Visit Models123's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PeterW

.....Perhaps Marshall can answer this...do they require Ferrari's blessing on these? If so they should put the brakes on this one.

From what I have recently read, which CMC has posted, it appears that they do not need, and do not have any license with Ferrari. Looks as though they are also not required to by law!! That goes along with exactly what I have found and been told by others in this business.

There is no need for CMC to "put the brakes on this one." And certainly, CMC has looked into this in depth.

There are most definitely loopholes for model manufacturers to work within. However...... the car companies ALL have well paid legal departments that at any whim of upper management can still go on the attack even if they are wrong; forcing any model company to defend themselves straight into bankruptcy. So I still see it as somewhat of a minefield at this time.

Here is what CMC has put out to address the licensing issue:
“Please note that the manufacturing and distribution of the suspended scale models does not require any license, in particular not from Ferrari. The model cars are true scale models of original Ferrari cars which were produced more than 25 years ago. Any design which has been published earlier than 25 years ago automatically belongs to the public domain because of the maximum duration of protection of any design registration. Therefore, no authorization is required for the production and distribution of respective scale models.
Please further note that the European Court of Justice (ECJ) and various national courts accordingly (Germany, Spain, Italy etc) ruled that the affixing of a trade mark on scale models in order faithfully to reproduce original cars, and the marketing of those scale models does not constitute a use of the trade mark which the proprietor of the trade mark is entitled to prevent (cf. ECJ, Case C-48/05 – judgment of 25 January 2007, GRUR Int. 2007, 404 – Adam Opel / Autec, copy attached; Federal High Court of Germany, judgment of 14 January 2010 – I ZR 88/08, GRUR 2010, 726 et seq. – Opel Blitz II).
Therefore, it is not justified to ask importers of scale models for authorizations with regard to manufacturer brands or designs older than 25 years.”

Marshall
Go to Top of Page

PeterW

USA
1216 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2015 :  06:44:30  Show Profile  Visit PeterW's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well...then they are simply scale toys ;)
Go to Top of Page

noelsairplanes

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2015 :  02:37:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You may be right about the body shape not being correct but, at least at this point in time, I'm sure that overall, it will still be the finest factory built 1/18th scale model of this car, ever offered. Rumor has it that Exoto is going to release a version at a price of 2K!They promised this years ago and the model never materialized! Anyone who has dealt with them knows they're not to be trusted!
Go to Top of Page

Models123

USA
196 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2015 :  05:54:54  Show Profile  Visit Models123's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Though it might be "the finest factory built 1/18th scale model of" a 250 GTO yet, that still doesn't excuse the mistakes, poor quality control, fantasy color versions, or not having chosen a better GTO to replicate in the first place.

Yes, Exoto has been claiming for many years now that they were going to make GTO model. They've just released their 250 LM priced from $1,700 for a plain non race version to $2,000 for the #27 Scuderia Filipinetti Le Mans car with mistakes on the livery!! If you want the model with correct livery, then expect Exoto to charge you another $500!!

$2,000 for a 1:18 scale mass produced Chinese diecast..... What the hell are they smoking??

Exoto has the worst customer service and the worst ethics in the entire model industry.

Marshall
Go to Top of Page

Models123

USA
196 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2015 :  06:29:34  Show Profile  Visit Models123's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Regarding Exoto's 250 LM Filipinetti car..... I might have jumped the gun with my comment about the livery. It may very well be that it is correct on the model, and that it did differ on the two sides of the car. That said, I stand behind other comments.

Marshall
Go to Top of Page

noelsairplanes

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2015 :  06:41:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm curious when you refer to the "poor quality control" of CMC models? I have almost 40 of them and have never had a issue so, exactly what are you referring to? I guess I'm not the purest that you are. So many models on the market with mistakes in body shape and other details. I've also read that the body shape on Hiro's 1/12th version is wrong but seems to be acceptable enough for builders like Suber. I will reserve final judgment until after receiving the one I have on order.
Go to Top of Page

PeterW

USA
1216 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2015 :  06:49:39  Show Profile  Visit PeterW's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In what way is the body shape wrong on the HIRO 1/12 GTO? If there are mistakes they haven't jumped out at me yet. Suber is not the only one building their GTO kits ;)

As far as quality control on the CMC models most recently [for me at least] it was the paint. Too many surface flaws.
Go to Top of Page

PeterW

USA
1216 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2015 :  07:00:36  Show Profile  Visit PeterW's Homepage  Reply with Quote
DITO on this comment. Working with them was a living hell!

Exoto has the worst customer service and the worst ethics in the entire model industry.
Go to Top of Page

Ferrari2006

Germany
352 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2015 :  21:56:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pictures made by me @ Solitude Race 2011, just 6KM away from my Home :-)

This is the CMC GTO.

[URL=http://s232.photobucket.com/user/ferrari-sammler/media/DSC07116_zpsixfwkpx3.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s232.photobucket.com/user/ferrari-sammler/media/DSC07115_zpsknccz9s3.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s232.photobucket.com/user/ferrari-sammler/media/DSC07113_zpsqsnffzht.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s232.photobucket.com/user/ferrari-sammler/media/DSC07119_zpsdwhwvav5.jpg.html][/URL]

Go to Top of Page

F1tommy

USA
218 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2015 :  12:39:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PeterW

In what way is the body shape wrong on the HIRO 1/12 GTO? If there are mistakes they haven't jumped out at me yet. Suber is not the only one building their GTO kits ;)

I agree, the Hiro is really nice. I think maybe the rear wheel arches might be a little to far up, but not by much. Otherwise I have not seen better on the market other than custom built models. The CMC looks like a toy with Tonka Toy knock offs.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MiniWerks :: Fine Handbuilt Models from around the World :: Contact MiniWerks :: MiniWerks on eBay © 2014 Mike McCormick. All rights reserved   Go To Top Of Page

Snitz Forums 2000