MiniWerks

Fine Handbuilt Models from around the World

Latest Models

Ford GT40 Mk.II Holman & Moody 24H Le Mans 1966

Ford GT40 Mk.II Holman & Moody 24H Le Mans 1966

Last Two! Ford GT40 Mk.II Holman & Moody 24H Le Mans 1966 Lucien Bianchi/Mario Andretti. Brand New.

» See more...

Welcome to MiniWerks Online!

The focus here is representing high–end 1/43 scale handbuilt models from the World’s top brands, as well as pieces from internationally renowned independent builders.

Mike McCormick signature

MiniWerks Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
 All Forums
 General
 Large scale - 1/18, 1/12, etc.
 330 GTC speciale 'Liliane de Rethy' 1/18
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Pluscat

Netherlands
45 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2013 :  14:47:08  Show Profile  Visit Pluscat's Homepage  Reply with Quote
People say I'm a gifted modelmaker and I should do more with my talent. So about three month ago I started a new project.

The car I chose was -according to Sergio Pininfarina's own words- the best design of his carreer: the 330 GTC speciale

The car was designed for prinsess Liliane de Rethy, second wife of king Leopold III of Belgium. Eventualy four of these special 330 GTC's were build in 1967/1968. I decided to make the first one S/N 9439; the Liliane de Rethy car.

The idea of creating a scalemodel from scratch, (every single part of this model wil be custommade) was an ambition I've had for many years.
It was about time to show the world the stuff I'm made of.

Secondly I want to show that there are still artisans in Europe who can make tru hand made models. The flood of stuff comming from China descimated a lot of small artisan manufacturers; time to make a stand, cause 'Not Everything Is Made In China' (NEIMIC)

In a few days I will publish the first report of the built. I hope you will enjoy my contribution to this forum. And God willing the model might become availabe on Miniwerks.

Very best regards

Pluscat

Edited by - Pluscat on 09/09/2013 02:57:34

moriaan

Netherlands
510 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2013 :  00:23:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am curious!!

and you are SO right!

Go to Top of Page

ramapao69

Italy
512 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2013 :  06:32:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very happy to see the progress ;)
Go to Top of Page

Pluscat

Netherlands
45 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2013 :  04:47:52  Show Profile  Visit Pluscat's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Starting is the most difficult thing about a scratchbuilt.
After I collected about every picture of the car on the net I made a scale drawing.
I started with making a base defining the internal measurements interior) and wheelbase

From the drawing I started making a metal skeleton, whith I gradualy filled with bondo (glassfibre polyester)In the pictures you can see the body slowly taking shape.

This work took the better part of four weeks.....

Edited by - Pluscat on 08/30/2013 04:56:48
Go to Top of Page

Models123

USA
196 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2013 :  07:46:12  Show Profile  Visit Models123's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow, this looks wonderful. Very impressive work! Will you be making more than one of these models?

Marshall
Go to Top of Page

F1tommy

USA
218 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2013 :  07:47:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice work. I know a company that is working on a kit of this actual car in 1/24th scale. Do you have any bigger photos of the model??

Tom Tanner/Scale Designs/Ferrari Expo 2014-Chicago March 2014-Pan Am art and model display
Go to Top of Page

Pluscat

Netherlands
45 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2013 :  15:47:46  Show Profile  Visit Pluscat's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by F1tommy

Very nice work. I know a company that is working on a kit of this actual car in 1/24th scale. Do you have any bigger photos of the model??

Tom Tanner/Scale Designs/Ferrari Expo 2014-Chicago March 2014-Pan Am art and model display

Hi,Tom
I do have bigger pictures, but somehow they do not seem to work on this site, Give me some time and I'll figure out how to post larger pictures.
Somebody is making this car in 1/24 scale? Wouldn't that be you by any chance?
Well mine is 1/18 scale.
I guess for collectors of 1/24 and collectors of 1/18 scale, 2013 might become a 'vintage year'.......

Edited by - Pluscat on 09/01/2013 07:40:45
Go to Top of Page

Pluscat

Netherlands
45 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2013 :  02:53:11  Show Profile  Visit Pluscat's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, scratchbuilding a model is 'like a walk in the park' compared to placing pictures on this forum ;).

So here they are: LARGER PICTURES! :)
The project has evolved quitte a bit, and I think the pictures speak for themselves.......

Go to Top of Page

250GTE

Netherlands
295 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2013 :  13:34:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Superb work! This is going to be an amazing modelcar.
Go to Top of Page

Pluscat

Netherlands
45 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2013 :  03:35:04  Show Profile  Visit Pluscat's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A few more pictures. The blue paintjob is just for the dry-fit, the model will be sanded again, to get a perfect smooth surfase.
This was the result after about 8 weeks.
There is still a lot to do, the dashboard, all the detailling, glass and so on.

Edited by - Pluscat on 09/14/2013 03:38:02
Go to Top of Page

Pluscat

Netherlands
45 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2013 :  06:22:12  Show Profile  Visit Pluscat's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It has been a few weeks since my last update on the build. The project is still going and more pieces have been made. The dash, seats, bumpers, windows, decals.On de pictures below a dry-fit of the model

The model is made largely out of Bondo. Somehow that does not feel right. The car turned out so pretty that it would be a shame to make just one. So I made moulds, and casted the various parts in resin.

On the pictures below two painted resin bodies. One is S/N 9439 the Liliane the Rethy car, and the other is S/N 9653 the dr Micheal Debakey car

Edited by - Pluscat on 10/29/2013 10:33:42
Go to Top of Page

Pluscat

Netherlands
45 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2013 :  10:45:44  Show Profile  Visit Pluscat's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Two more pictures:

The resin parts

In the front the 'Mule' a resin testmodel to check the fit of parts in this case the windows and windowframes. These will be made of photo-etched alpaca, but on the photo they are cut out of a paperprint, to check the fit before etching.
In the back two resin bodies.

Go to Top of Page

zibbi

Italy
141 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2013 :  09:23:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fantastic work!
Are you going to make the Barilla's 330 too?
Go to Top of Page

Pluscat

Netherlands
45 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2013 :  10:50:54  Show Profile  Visit Pluscat's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, I will make the Barilla car (S/N 10107) too and to make the set complete I will also make the dr Palma car (S/N 10241). But that will happen in the future, the Rethy car and the Debakey car are virtualy the same and differ only in very minor details. The Barilla car the Palma car differ in many more details from the Rethy car.
For the time being I'm concentrating on the development of the kit for the Rethy car. The other tree variants are just 'one offs' for my own collection, based on the Rethy kit.

Debakey S/N 9653

Barilla S/N 10107

Palma S/N 10241

Edited by - Pluscat on 10/30/2013 11:12:58
Go to Top of Page

Pluscat

Netherlands
45 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2013 :  06:14:04  Show Profile  Visit Pluscat's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Finally I can give you another update on the project, as the custom made parts I designed are arriving. Some time ago I received the decals, and last week the photo-etched parts arrived.

As far as the build, the preparation of the resin parts is the most work. The parts are pretty good (but not far as good as BBR), there are some airbubbles and pinholes. It just takes a lot more time to prepare the body than usual.

Once the body and other resin parts are painted, the rest of the build is quite straight forward. The photo-etched parts fit very good, but I did spent a lot of time on designing those.

On the photos the model with the photo-etched parts and decals fixed, I am quite chuffed with the result, it is all turning out pretty much the way I envisioned.
Sofar, not bad for a completely scratched model, build on my kitchentable, don't you think?

The wheels on the next photos are not the final items. They are just a spare set (with about the right dimensions) I had left from another project.

Edited by - Pluscat on 11/26/2013 06:31:11
Go to Top of Page

gege

France
128 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2013 :  07:33:29  Show Profile  Visit gege's Homepage  Reply with Quote
very good job. In the future, is it possible do buy a kit?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MiniWerks :: Fine Handbuilt Models from around the World :: Contact MiniWerks :: MiniWerks on eBay © 2014 Mike McCormick. All rights reserved   Go To Top Of Page

Snitz Forums 2000