MiniWerks

Fine Handbuilt Models from around the World

Latest Models

Ford GT40 Mk.II Holman & Moody 24H Le Mans 1966

Ford GT40 Mk.II Holman & Moody 24H Le Mans 1966

Last Two! Ford GT40 Mk.II Holman & Moody 24H Le Mans 1966 Lucien Bianchi/Mario Andretti. Brand New.

» See more...

Welcome to MiniWerks Online!

The focus here is representing high–end 1/43 scale handbuilt models from the World’s top brands, as well as pieces from internationally renowned independent builders.

Mike McCormick signature

MiniWerks Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
 All Forums
 General
 1/43 scale Handbuilt Models
 Next Project by Jean-Paul Magnette!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Ferrarinut

USA
1489 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2011 :  17:45:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jean-Paul has begun work on the next series of GTOs. This series is based on the new Esprit43 Ferrari 250 GTO 1964 kit. Jean-Paul's words and photos to follow...

To make a change from the AMR GTOs, we’ll build this time a series of Esprit43 64’ GTOs. The very nice kit created by Mike Craig allows us to make 3 versions, first is #3413 GT, the Ferlaino-Taramazzo car at the 64 Targa-Florio.

Ferrarinut

USA
1489 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2011 :  17:47:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
#4675 GT, Guichet – Facetti, Targa-Florio 1964.
Go to Top of Page

Ferrarinut

USA
1489 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2011 :  17:49:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
#4675 GT, Jean Guichet at Spa 64.
Go to Top of Page

Ferrarinut

USA
1489 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2011 :  17:51:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The main parts of the kit.
Go to Top of Page

Ferrarinut

USA
1489 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2011 :  17:54:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cleaning of the 3 front wing air vents to make them look thinner, for this purpose 2 kinds of milling drills are used. A bit of milling too at the front of the roof, so that the windscreen fits perfectly. Same tools for the wheel – arches.
Go to Top of Page

Ferrarinut

USA
1489 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2011 :  17:56:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The decals and photo-etched parts sheets, this one is composed of 58 parts.
Go to Top of Page

Ferrarinut

USA
1489 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2011 :  17:57:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Drilling of the several holes on the body: windscreen washers and wipers, door and hood handles and at last the holes for the screws which hold the chassis and body together.
Go to Top of Page

Ferrarinut

USA
1489 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2011 :  17:59:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After the bodies have been degreased, they are brushed with steel wool. This will put in evidence the little blemishes, holes and porosity on the surface which will be filled with 2 components putty.
Go to Top of Page

Ferrarinut

USA
1489 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2011 :  18:01:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For maximum realism, the air vents of the rear wings are reproduced with photo-etched parts, it’s best to glue them before painting. This is done with cyanocrilate glue.
Next step is the sanding of the bodies and they’ll be almost ready for painting. See you in a few days.
Go to Top of Page

PeterW

USA
1216 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2011 :  21:15:40  Show Profile  Visit PeterW's Homepage  Reply with Quote
FYI the hood/nose bulge needs to be extended further down on the nose...it's too short on this kit. I discovered this when making modifications for my Pebble Beach versions. You see it on the first photo here as well. You will note it actually extends into most of the center of the roundel.

Nice to see the attention to detail, especially thinning out the side vents. Someone should start making a recess for a pe part and save us the work. [hint, hint ;)]
Go to Top of Page

PeterW

USA
1216 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2011 :  10:02:01  Show Profile  Visit PeterW's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I hope I'm not being overly critical...the nose as it is for chassis 4675 is very close to the way I have seen the restored car. The very tip of the bulge is about dead center [on the nose section]so it is a minute detail. I'm not sure it warrants a change.

http://www.casvitacura.cl/NOTICIAS/ANTERIORES%20-%20NOTICIAS/ferrari-250GTO-chasis4675/ferrari-250GTO_iframe.html

I am making the short roof versions and the bulge appears to go about 3/4 [or more] of the way into the nose section. It is especially evident with the birds eye views I have seen. Note chassis 4091 in the photos below where the bulge goes almost to the end of the nose.

http://www.supercars.net/gallery/119513/2697/4.html

Again, the historic photos look as if the bulge goes further forward but it is hard to tell since it's under the roundel.

And yes, I know...I am anal with this stuff!

Edited by - PeterW on 12/06/2011 10:14:26
Go to Top of Page

Ferrarinut

USA
1489 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2011 :  11:15:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From Jean-Paul...
‘’Dear Peter, I was very interested by your comment and don’t want to be polemical, but that bulge does seem perfectly accurate, if you look carefully at all the photographs of the sixties when GTOs were racing and got their original bodies. Experience has learned me to always be careful with those restored cars, they usually have been restored several times, not always with perfect accuracy and they often look so different now than at the time. Also please, don’t forget those cars were built by hand and if the overall shape was similar, there were numerous little differences from one car to the other, you couldn’t even notice in 1/43 scale. That’s all the difficulty, but also the interest to try to reproduce them.‘’
Go to Top of Page

PeterW

USA
1216 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2011 :  12:24:56  Show Profile  Visit PeterW's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ferrarinut

From Jean-Paul...
‘’Dear Peter, I was very interested by your comment and don’t want to be polemical, but that bulge does seem perfectly accurate, if you look carefully at all the photographs of the sixties when GTOs were racing and got their original bodies. Experience has learned me to always be careful with those restored cars, they usually have been restored several times, not always with perfect accuracy and they often look so different now than at the time. Also please, don’t forget those cars were built by hand and if the overall shape was similar, there were numerous little differences from one car to the other, you couldn’t even notice in 1/43 scale. That’s all the difficulty, but also the interest to try to reproduce them.‘’

Oh...I agree. That's why in my second post I questioned the accuracy of the restored car. But it does show the nose almost exactly as the kit is. When I look at the historic photos it appears to extend a bit more, but I do think it is too minor to question at this point. And I also think it is subjective. So I meant no disrespect.

I have studied Ferrari cars quite a bit and I do understand they are all sightly different. And I do know that they were all hand made up until the 80's [I had once owned a 308 GTS]. I had that exact dilemma with the Graber GTO. When it was restored recently the coach builders made changes from the factory car to the current owners preferences. The previous owner thinks it is a shame. To each his own I guess ;)

And I do think Mike Craig did a superb job on the kit!
Go to Top of Page

Ferrarinut

USA
1489 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2011 :  11:05:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
New photos and comments just received from Jean-Paul! Enjoy.

The bodies have been sanded now, the last thing before painting is the characteristic skirt at the bottom of the rear part. The photo-etched part has to be bent, and then glued at his place. First time it has been so realistically reproduced in 1/43 scale, I think.
Go to Top of Page

Ferrarinut

USA
1489 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2011 :  11:07:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bodies have received their first coat of paint. After careful sanding, we can step to next coat.
Go to Top of Page

Ferrarinut

USA
1489 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2011 :  11:09:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is the red base coat.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MiniWerks :: Fine Handbuilt Models from around the World :: Contact MiniWerks :: MiniWerks on eBay © 2014 Mike McCormick. All rights reserved   Go To Top Of Page

Snitz Forums 2000